Reading, York, Bristol, Warrington
£29,179 - £32,160
30th November 2020
The Portfolio Support Officer sits within the Delivery & Assurance Function within DDTS and Corporate Services.
The role works within the DDTS Portfolio Office which is responsible for the management of a diverse and complex portfolio of programmes and projects (circa £200m p.a.) that contribute to the delivery of departmental and/or business area objectives.
The DDTS portfolio has a HIGH degree of uncertainty, its large in size, politically sensitive, technically complex, has a large number of high profile or misaligned stakeholders and often need procedures and methodologies to be adapted to suit unique situations. The role is an integral contributor to the Portfolio Office’s responsibility for the oversight of a collection of programmes or projects that contribute to the delivery of departmental or business area objectives.
Primary purpose of role
The provision of support and guidance on portfolio, programme and project management processes, procedures, tools and techniques. Support includes definition of portfolios, programmes, and projects; advice on the development, production and maintenance of business cases; time, resource, cost and exception plans, and the use of related software tools. Tracking and reporting of programme/project progress and performance are also covered, as is the capability to facilitate all aspects of portfolio/ programme/ project meetings, workshops and documentation
• Takes responsibility for the provision of Project support services to small/medium scale projects where required.
• Uses and recommends project control solutions for planning, scheduling and tracking projects.
• Sets up and provides detailed guidance on project management software, procedures, processes, tools and techniques. Supports portfolio, programme or project control boards, project assurance teams and quality review meetings.
• Provides basic guidance on individual project proposals. May be involved in aspects of supporting a sub portfolio/ programme by providing a cross programme view on risk, change, quality, finance or configuration management.
• Uses recommended project control solutions for planning, scheduling and tracking projects.
• Sets up project files, compiles and distributes reports.
• Provides administrative services to portfolio, programme, project boards, project assurance teams and quality review meetings where required.
• Provides guidance on project management software, procedures, processes, tools and techniques.
This role is suitable for an individual who has worked in a programme or portfolio management office with
• Experience of planning, governance and risk or has experience of managing a project, programme or strand of activity.
• Experience of using portfolio management as a tool for managing organisational change.
• Comfortable with dealing with ambiguity and being responsible for making decisions and judgements, when all the information isn’t known.
• Experience of portfolio management methods & tools such as Microsoft Project Online, Excel and SharePoint Online
• A proven background of working with a number stakeholders within a fast paced environment