£57,114 - £65,740
24th May 2021
The Head of Business Strategy and Planning provides key corporate services for the OEP. You will support the Board, Directors and Senior Leadership Team with strategic and business planning activities, providing practical and creative input in the development of new initiatives, the design of current and future strategic and operational plans and will bring discipline to the strategic decision making process to manage the effective use of OEP resources.
You will be responsible for preparing, co-ordinating and overseeing creation of the Corporate Strategy for the OEP. You will be responsible for the corporate plan, annual report, and business and workforce planning. You will ensure that other OEP reporting is consistent with the high standards and independence required for the OEP. You will lead a team to provide the Board Secretariat service and manage the Private Offices for the OEP Chair and Chief Executive.
You will be responsible for organisation design and the operating model for the OEP through organisation wide working and oversight of cross-cutting issues. You will manage the strategy, governance and planning service effectively to develop and manage development of business plans and then assess their performance against plans and timelines, using Key Performance Indicator approaches.
You will be responsible for the day to day relationship with Defra, developing briefings for Defra Ministers as required, and manage the regular ministerial performance reviews required for Defra ALBs, whilst maintaining the independence of the OEP.
You will lead your team in an agile and flexible way to provide these services to the business.
Candidate Information Webinars
Visit our Eventbrite page for details of any planned Candidate Information Webinars associated with this role:
We are looking for individuals, from any background, who have the enthusiasm and flexibility to help us grow and develop this exciting new organisation. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, we would love you to get in touch.
The role holder’s key responsibilities are as follows.
• Preparing the corporate strategy, corporate plan and annual reports for the OEP. Prepare the statutory reports and statements as set out in the Environment Bill on the functions and operation of the OEP.
• Providing a coordination and standards oversight role for other OEP strategies to ensure that they are aligned with the overall corporate strategy.
• Setting and maintaining the corporate standards for strategies, planning and corporate governance.
• Managing organisational design and oversight of the Operational Model, to ensure that the OEP structure and ways of working are fit for the delivery of the OEP functions.
• Developing clear short, medium and long term goals for the OEP and an overarching organisation strategy for the achievement of these. The goals shall include, amongst others to be determined: achieving challenging environmental performance standards so that the OEP is an exemplar of good environmental practice; developing an inclusive, diverse and supportive culture.
• Preparing compelling narrative, and work at pace, to draft high quality briefings and strategy reports for the Board, ministers, senior management and decision-making committees.
• Working with the teams across the organisation to develop a range of plans to support the delivery of the overarching strategy with measurable targets.
• Working across the organisation to establish key performance measures to monitor achievement of the goals. Communicating the performance results and encouraging dialogue to explore continual improvement.
• Encourage innovation and capture ideas for development.
Skills and Experience
• Proven track record of effectively leading people through change, establishing a strong corporate and vision, engaging with people in a straightforward, truthful and candid way.
• Be a strong leader, focused on working together to build on each other’s strengths and to flex across activities as needed to achieve our business outcomes.
• Proven track record of working on cross-cutting activity, interacting and communicating effectively, including executive-level discussion, to set direction on complex issues, ideally at an organisational level.
• Desirable experience the Board Secretariat to provide an outstanding service to the Board and Senior Leaders.
• Demonstrated ability to write high quality briefings and strategic reports for ministers, senior management and decision-making committees.
• Ability to develop an understanding of the OEP, environmental and public policy and technical skills, plus a strong understanding of government and politics and apply this to the organisation’s corporate strategy
• Strong experience of influencing senior managers across an organisation, as well as influencing change or outcomes in other organisations.
• Experience of corporate strategy, governance processes, or corporate planning, developing or managing organisation wide plans, or experience of performance assessment against plans and timelines.
• Experience of managing corporate risk processes would be beneficial.
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.