Location: Can be based at any Defra office in England including our Digital Hubs Bristol, Reading, Warrington and York. Post-COVID restrictions, you may be required to occasionally travel to the Digital Hubs. We welcome flexible working and are open to a blended approach.
Salary: £24,918 to £29,806
Closing Date: 23 Jun 2021
Defra is responsible for safeguarding our natural environment, supporting our world-leading food and farming industries and sustaining a rural economy. Our broad remit means we play an important role in people’s day-to-day life, from the food we eat and the air we breathe to the water we drink. The environment, food production and farming practices increasingly occupy centre stage in public and policy debates.
We are recruiting talented, motivated and creative individuals who have a keen interest in software development and/or data integration.
Junior Software Developers are entry-level software developers that will assist established development teams with all aspects of software development and on-going support. Your main role will be to learn the code, attend meetings, write basic code, fix bugs, and support the team in day-to-day activities (e.g. managing our work queue, helping work prioritisation, attending customer meetings).
We are looking to recruit 3 x Junior Developers to work on various teams across DDTS Digital. These include:
DDTS Data Warehouse (RPA Services) – predominantly a data integration role working with customer data. Key technologies include Informatica ETL (Extract Transform Load), Business Objects, SQL
DDTS Software Development (Rural Payments Agency Services) – Working on payment related services for the Rural Payments Agency. Key technologies include .NET, C#
DDTS Software Development (Flood Coast and Risk Management Services) – Working on flood related services for the Environment Agency. Key technologies include NODE.JS/HTML/AWS
Following a successful recruitment exercise we shall match candidates to the role which we think is most suitable.
What we look for in all our developers:
• Collaboration – the ability to work well with members of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team
• Curiosity – the urge to find out why things are the way they are and to seek out new challenges
• Problem solving – the imagination, tenacity and intelligence to find the best solution
• Flexibility – the ability to work in a changing environment
• Working with experienced developers, you will gain experience in developing software to meet user needs.
• You will help monitor work queues and support our work prioritisation
• We will help you become proficient in writing clean, secure and well-tested code.
• You will build an understanding and appreciation of the work we deliver and the customers we serve.
Required experience for a Junior Developer:
The is a junior role and mentoring, training, and guidance will be given – however the preferred candidate must be a self-learner with a natural interest in development technologies. The candidate should show a passion and an understanding for development methods, technologies and practices, and an ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical members of staff at all levels.
A junior developer might have a basic understanding or some experience of:
• Programming / Software Development
• Systems Design
• Database / Repository Design
• Release and Deployment