£27,963 - £29,806
31st January 2021
• supporting the organisation of Ministerial interviews, visits, announcements and publicity around speeches and events;
• developing the ability to provide timely proactive and reactive media handling advice to ministers and senior officials;
• being trained to effectively brief journalists accurately and with authority;
• working closely with ministers’ private offices, officials and communications colleagues to assist in the planning and implementation of media strategies across a broad range of media outlets including specialist, lifestyle, online and other new media; and
• developing an understanding of issues across the department enabling you to play an effective part in the wider press office team.
• an excellent news sense to anticipate and spot breaking news stories.
• the ability to persuade others of the benefits of your recommendations or negotiate with others.
• good writing skills – you can turn around clean, crisp copy in plain English to tight deadlines.
• good oral communications skills combined with the confidence to deal with people at all levels.
• the ability to identify and understand internal and external audiences and adapts language to suit.
• a broad understanding of comms channels, how they interact and work to reach target audiences.
• the confidence and skills to quickly get to grips with our agenda and build knowledge of our organisation.
• the skills to make a persuasive and objective case to support communications advice.
• a talent in developing and nurturing excellent contacts.
• the skills to actively engage with a broad range of internal partners to shape handling.
• an awareness of political context in making communications choices.
• the ability to remain focused under pressure and organise priorities– a can-do attitude.
• a commitment to taking responsibility for own contribution to working and delivering your team’s objectives.